Call for Applications: Program Officer for Capacity Building
The Asian Network for Free Elections (ANFREL) is looking for a Program Officer to implement its Capacity Building projects and activities. The Program Officer will preferably be based in Bangkok, Thailand, but will be coordinating with ANFREL’s network organizations and traveling across the Asian region.
Formed in 1997, ANFREL was organized as a solidarity movement working to advance the cause of free and fair elections. At present, it has 29 members from 18 Asian countries. As part of its overall mission of supporting democratization efforts in Asia, ANFREL focuses its work on three major areas: election observation, capacity building, and campaign and advocacy. It takes a holistic approach to achieve its mission, and these programs are designed to complement one another in supporting the advancement of free and fair elections across Asia.
Since its establishment, ANFREL has carried out more than 70 election observation missions across Asia. ANFREL draws its strength from its network of Asian civil society organizations. The long-term aim is to build expertise in democratic elections in the region, entrenching a culture of democracy that has emerged from within and is locally developed.
The Program Officer will be tasked with collecting best practices on election observation from ANFREL member organizations and other sources, preparing training curriculums and materials, organizing workshops, webinars, and other kinds of capacity building events. His/her/their primary goal will be to increase the capacity of domestic election observer groups and other civil society organizations in Asia.
Hours: Full-time, with occasional work in the evenings and on weekends.
Duration of Contract: 12 months (renewable depending on performance)
Location: preferably working out of the ANFREL headquarters in Bangkok, Thailand. Remote work from another Asian country can be negotiated. The Program Officer will be expected to travel regularly.
Salary: Commensurate with experience and qualification
Benefits: Thai visa and work permit, health insurance, provident fund will be provided.
Deadline for Application: 31 October 2022
• Coordinate with ANFREL member organizations and other election observer groups on program implementation;
• Develop both country based and regional capacity building programs;
• Develop necessary training curriculum/manuals for ANFREL and member organizations;
• Provide technical support in reviewing and designing curriculum for training manuals;
• Help maintain a database of trainers and other resource persons;
• Facilitate dissemination and exchange of expertise in the concerned field;
• Develop Capacity Building section on website to allow easy access to information and materials;
• Perform any other tasks related to capacity building and ANFREL programs.
Key qualifications and requirements
• Demonstrated commitment to ANFREL’s core values of promoting democracy and human rights;
• Proven knowledge and understanding of political and democracy issues in Asia;
• At least 3 years of relevant experience in capacity building work, preferably on elections, democracy;
• Strong work ethic and expertise in program management;
• Strong command of the English language. Knowledge of Asian language(s) is an added advantage;
• Proficiency in technical writing and documentation;
• Excellent public relations and communications skills;
• Proficiency in Microsoft office programs is a must; experience in graphic designing is an added advantage;
• A team player and can work in a multicultural environment;
• At least a bachelor’s degree in Asian studies, social sciences, political science, or any other relevant field of study or experience.
How to apply
Please ensure to include the following when submitting your application:
• Cover letter which states your qualifications and other details that will support your application including details of previous related works you have undertaken;
• Curriculum Vitae
• Name and contact details of at least two (2) references.
ANFREL encourages qualified candidates regardless of backgrounds and identities to apply. Interested candidates may submit their applications to firstname.lastname@example.org, in an email titled “Program Officer for Capacity Building”, by 31 October 2022, 5 p.m. GMT+7 Bangkok time.
Only shortlisted candidates who meet the required experience and qualifications for this position will be contacted for interviews from 1 November 2022. We may wish to retain your CV in our database for other/future opportunities unless you request us otherwise. Thank you very much for your interest.ANFREL_Job-Vacacy_capacity-building-program-officer