ANFREL Newsletter (April-June 2020)
For the second edition of the quarterly newsletter e-Bulletin, the Asian Network for Free Elections (ANFREL) highlighted the developments in Sri Lanka which is set to hold their election on 5 August 2020 amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
ANFREL hosted a webinar to gather updates and insights on the Sri Lankan polls with the Election Commission Chairperson Mahinda Deshapriya, Centre for Monitoring Election Violence (CMEV) National Coordinator Manjula Ganjanayake and Verité Research Head for Media Research Deepanjalie Abeywardana.
The Sri Lankan Parliamentary Election was originally scheduled for 25 April 2020 but was postponed due to the COVID-19 crisis.
Similarly, Singapore will also be holding its general election on 10 July 2020. ANFREL talked to PJ Thum of New Naratif and Braema Mathi of MARUAH to know the situation in the country.
Here are other highlights during the second quarter of 2020:
• ANFREL Hosts Election Reporting Workshop for Myanmar Media
• ANFREL Myanmar Website Goes Live
• ANFREL, NMF Host a Series of Online Election Monitoring Training
• COVID-19 and Elections: Learning from the South Korea Experience
• COVID-19 and Elections: The Experience of South Korea
• COVID-19 and Elections: By-election in Lampang, Thailand, 20 June 2020
• COVID-19 and Elections: VEC/WSP fosters youth and women engagement in 2020 Mongolian Parliamentary Election through voter education
ANFREL has set-up a dedicated section on our website on updates related to COVID-19 and Elections: https://anfrel.org/tag/covid-19-and-elections/
To know more, visit ANFREL Newsletter e-Bulletin (April-June 2020).